I have worked on a wide range of activities within the Program Management Organization (PMO) for several large companies with international operations, including planning and performance measurement for enterprise-wide initiatives, proposal review and preparation, management presentations and defending budget requests. To execute these duties, I have become proficient with Project Management tools such as MS Project, developed an advanced skill set with MS Excel, earned a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) degree with a 4.0GPA and pursued a passionate interest in Lean and Operational Excellence.
I have successfully integrated Lean fundamentals into my work with project and program teams and also coached other functional groups on implementing elements of Lean on the shop floor, such as visual management and 5S.
|PROGRAM & PROJECT MANAGEMENT, PLANNING, MEASUREMENT & PERFORMANCE|
|FINANCIAL ANALYSIS & BUDGET DEVELOPMENT|
|CONTINUOUS PROCESS IMPROVEMENT & OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE|
|BLOGGING & SOCIAL MEDIA|
May 2008 to Present – Senior Program Planning & Control Analyst
Elbit Systems of America – Commercial Aviation Systems
Lead the planning, analysis and financial control for the full life-cycle of high-dollar value ($10-$40M) programs consisting of international, multi-disciplinary engineering teams and the transition from design & development into manufacturing. Implemented Lean & Operational practices by coaching department heads on Lean, 5s and visual management as a member of the Lean & Continuous Improvement Team.
- Organized large, geographically diverse teams into a coordinated, manageable, and executable framework by creating program work breakdown structures and baseline program plans. Facilitated adoption of rigorous program management practices and early identification of problem areas, using both qualitative and quantitative analyses.
- Improved program and project management functions by challenging the status quo and contributing to the development of new policies for program management and project controls. Advised multiple levels of management on best practices for program management and identification of non-technical risks. Introduced flexible management techniques, Kaizen-style progress boards, and facilitated adoption of data-driven decision making.
- Conducted workshops on applying Lean concepts in Office environments. Conducted 5S audits and attended Operational Excellence conferences and workshops. Lead improvement teams to develop new practices for project controls.
Jan 2007 to May 2008 – Senior Program Control Analyst
Raytheon Integrated Defense Systems
Enabled Program Management insights into performance trends and metrics for program health on a $600M, multi-year, Radar upgrade program using Earned Value Management. Transformed core project controls processes by developing complex, customized reporting models using Excel, Visual Basic and Access. Worked with software developers to create functional requirements and evangelize vision for efficient, customizable program performance analytics via a SharePoint application.
- Produced actionable recommendations by analyzing large data sets from SAP and Business Warehouse.
- Developed Excel, Access and PowerPoint models to reduce Program Control reporting cycle by as much as 80%.
- Coached project teams on understanding performance metrics and improving overall performance trends.
April 2006 to Jan 2007 – Senior Compensation Analyst
Modeled trends and correlated performance metrics with labor expenditures to reveal insights into incentive plans and sales performance, ultimately identifying a major loophole in commission calculation applications and preventing significant lost revenues.
- Worked with IT department to develop new applications and calculations and validate the results.
- Calculated compensation for sales force in accordance with established plans.
October 2002 to April 2006 – Program Control Analyst / Master Planner
Managed program-level planning and financial administration for engineering development and manufacturing programs, including developing Integrated Master Schedules, analyzing cost forecasts, risk & opportunity tracking, manpower planning, cash flow analysis, variance analysis and submission of CDRLs.
- Administered Earned Value Measurement System in accordance with company guidelines.
- Wrote explanatory analyses for major cost & schedule variances, provided business decision support to Program Managers, and Worked with technical leads to develop manpower requirements
- Conducted analyses of manufacturing metrics to determine support ratios, performance factors, unit production costs, price and quantity variances, and analyses of vs. the Bill of Material and product structure.
- Created Excel macros for simplifying material price and quantity variances on large Bills of Material, and contributed to a cross-functional team formed to design an improved set of tools and reporting formats for Program Control.
March 2001 to June 2002 – Pricing Analyst
Computer Science Corporation
Supported capture teams by developing pricing models in pursuit of major, multi-year IT infrastructure and systems operations support contracts for Federal Civilian Agencies. This resulted in winning multi-year IT services contracts with the Jet Propulsion Lab, NASA, NOAA and multiple GSA schedules.
- Utilized advanced MS Excel techniques to develop models for calculating ROI, gross/net profit, manpower and headcount, and other financial metrics as necessary
- Modeled multiple pricing strategy scenarios and conducted what-if analyses.
- Conducted CFO-level presentation for proposal reviews & approvals.
March 1998 to November 2000 – Program Analyst
Drug Enforcement Administration
Provided budget development & justification support to the Chief Information Officer in support of IT infrastructure deployment initiative, resulting in an annual, recurring funding increase from $42 to $90M. I also earned certification as a Contracting Officers Technical Representative and took part in a process improvement effort to achieve Capability Maturity Model (CMMi) level 3
- Write Statements of Work for procurement of IT engineering and advisory services
- Monitor expenditures on major projects
- Oversee efforts of managerial support contractors
BLOGGING & SOCIAL MEDIA
My Flexible Pencil (myflexiblepencil.com)
In March of 2010, I created the My Flexible Pencil blog. This site offers observations of workplace behavior and thoughts on Operational Excellence and Project Management. My posts have also appeared on several other sites, and my comments on “Lean for Knowledge” work were published in the Harvard Business Review.
Popular posts include:
- “Change Management and the 5s Framework”
- “Being Resourceful is a matter of curiosity”
- ”Management Excellence: The Joker”
2011 – Master of Business Administration
Concentration in Marketing & Strategy
Rivier College, Nashua, NH
1997 – Master of Arts, Political Science
Concentration in Comparative Politics & International Relations
Pennsylvania State University
1995 – Bachelor of Arts, Political Science
State University of New York at Buffalo